Your first prenatal appointment can be an exciting and anxious time. To help demystify the process, we’ve given you the lowdown on what to expect at your first appointment, and some of our tips for how to prepare.
Here at Hatch, your first appointment will be conducted by one of our experienced midwives. We recommend that women come to see us for their first appointment from around 8-10 weeks. We encourage partners to attend the first appointment together.
At your first appointment, your midwife will answer your questions and provide you with information about what to expect from your pregnancy care at Hatch Private Maternity. In addition to this, your midwife will:
- Provide you with an estimated due date based on your history and any ultrasounds you may have had
- Confirm your eligibility for care at Hatch, or clarify with one of our obstetricians if necessary
- Confirm that you have had the routine antenatal screening tests requested by your GP or, if you haven’t, arrange for you to have these prior to you first obstetrician appointment
- Outline an indicative Schedule of Visits for the duration of your pregnancy
- Make an appointment for you with one of our obstetricians once all your results are available
How to prepare
In order for you to get the most out of your first appointment, it’s a good idea to take some time to think about what you want from this visit, and to get prepared for any questions you might be asked. Here are a few of our tips for preparing for your first appointment:
- Take a note of your personal health history, including any previous pregnancies and medical conditions
- Note the names and dosages of all medications that you are currently taking
- Find out about any health conditions that run in your and your partner’s families
- Take some time to note down any questions you would like to ask your midwife
For Hatch patients, you will be given a questionnaire prior to your first appointment so that you can think about and answer these questions in a structured manner. Don’t worry if you are unsure about any of the questions, your midwife will be able to help with these at your appointment.
Here at Hatch, we offer a free, no-obligation initial consultation with one of our midwives, who will take you through the process detailed in this post. This is a great opportunity for you to meet some of our staff and to decide if Hatch Private Maternity feels like the right choice for you. It is also an opportunity for us to evaluate whether you are eligible for care with us. You can make this initial midwife appointment by calling us on (07) 3332 1950 or requesting an appointment online.